[Gllug] Throttling failed connections

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Feb 24 09:14:51 UTC 2005

A glance through logwatch this morning showed an alarming number of
failed ssh attempts to log in from one IP address.  The package is up to
date, so I don't suppose I was in any real danger (they were guessing
lots of different usernames).  However, it occurs to me that there must
be a generic way of greylisting IP addresses, so that if you rack up too
many failed logins within a certain time period you are locked out for an
increasing length of time from that IP address until you successfully
log in.

Googling hasn't revealed a canonical way of doing this, but has thrown
out some ideas:
- pam_tally
- implement some sort of port-knocking scheme before opening the ssh
  port
- blacklisting IPs
- portsentry

Before I go and do more research, can anyone suggest something that
'just works'?