[Gllug] Systemimager in ssh mode

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Feb 2 16:32:15 UTC 2005

> A while back someone mentioned systemimager for cloning servers. Has
> anyone got it working in ssh mode? I have found the documentation on
> this a bit thin. Does it allow you to use rsa keys to authenticate the
> clients?
>
> Also, does it work where clients are not on static IPs? I want to be
> able to update lots of identical machines in the field over dialup
> connections. I was planning to use plain old rsync over ssh, but
> systemimager would save me the pain of a lengthy dd to install each
> machine.

You'd be quicker posting a pre-installed hard drive.
All joking aside, I'm being serious.

Post a hard drive.
Post-install script to set up the networking.
rsync back to the central site if necessary in a cron job

I assume on-site that you have a dialup connection and a router to
a small Ethernet network?

I can't answer your question re. systemimager,
but how about using g4u as I suggested in my post last week?

The alternative is to prepare an initrd and a linuxrc which
a) cfdisk to partition the drive
b) makes filesystems
c) rsyncs from the install server (I guess you have an install server
   at the remote site?)

dd won't work if the drive types are not similar.
And let's face it, you won't be using the same drive for the life
of the project.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk