[Gllug] Failed to open cd device cdroms/cdrom0

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Feb 4 10:30:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:41:17AM +0000, Chris wrote:
> On Thu 03 Feb, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:45:14PM +0000, Chris wrote:
> > > On Tue 01 Feb, Ian Norton wrote:
> > >    Debian may be changing labels from /dev/cdrom to /media/cdrom
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by that.  /media/cdrom would be a mount point,
> > /dev/cdrom would either be a symlink to a device node or simply a device
> > node.  They aren't the same thing and Debian wouldn't be changing either
> > one into the other.
> >
> > If the mount point has been changed, the most likely culprit would be
> > discover.  The op's message is about /dev/cdroms/cdrom, however, which
> > is a devfs-ism.
> >
> > --
> > Bruce
>
>    I am not sure of the reasoning, but I gather that devfs may now be
> deprecated, and the Debian team are trying to follow the new policy.

The udev packages use traditional naming rules by default but can be
changed to devfs-style with the addition of a single symlink.  Not that
it is relevant.  Nothing in /dev going to moved to /media.  They are
different things.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.