[Gllug] GLLUG March Meeting -- Update

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Thu Feb 24 17:53:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:24:53 +0000, Rob Crowther wrote:
> Rich Walker wrote:
> >Pete Ryland <pdr at createservices.com> writes:
> >
> >>Anyway, I was wondering if there would be any interest in the future for
> >>a python workshop/tutorial/lesson for beginners to run in the labs
> >>either instead of a talk or in parallel as an alternative to the talks.
>
> I would be interested in such a thing.  I'm not a complete beginner
> though...

I think the category "clueful beginner" is more what I meant.  In other
words, a beginner to python, not to programming/computing in general.

> >How about a "for not-beginners"?
> >
> >In other words, assume previous knowledge of programming, and present
> >Python at that level. In the manner of the old P.J.Brown classic "Pascal
> >from Basic".
> >
> Would it be possible to have the workshop in two parts?  An
> 'Introduction to Programming' type part followed by a slightly more
> advanced/practical session.

Another good idea.  Perhaps the first part should be non-language-specific,
just giving an introduction to programming languages, types of language,
computer architecture, memory management techniques, machine code, text
editing, that sort of thing.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk