[Gllug] Re: Gllug Digest, Vol 20, Issue 33

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Thu Feb 10 09:02:18 UTC 2005

I know what you mean, ive been writing some setup scripts for Suse ES 8
which uses a simular /etc/sysconfig/network to redhat and been struggling
to find any documentation and unfortunatly (possibly fortunatly) dont have
any access to the source (yes Im sure i could find it but the distrivution
I have to work with is a canned up version used internally to the company
and we dont get the source - not even the kernel source) so when we
discover that rbash is bust or that we dont have the right kernel for
VMware ESX tools were screwed.  If I could read the source I *might* find
out what its for but only if the source is documented. :(

Any how I discoved that all thats needed is the following

BOOTPROTO='static'
IPADDR='xx.xx.xx.xx'
NETMASK='255.255.254.0'
STARTMODE='onboot'
UNIQUE='VCu0.W2CmOjo5laA'
device='eth0'

BUT Im still missing the documentation for what the UNIQUE is allabout, in
the end I have my script generate a random value that gets put here and Im
done, but I really want to know what its about.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk