[Gllug] [OT] Non-compete clauses in employment contracts

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 12:35:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:25:50PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:38:27AM +0000, Alain wrote:
> > > Anyone who cares should obviously speak to a lawyer :)
> > Who will extract lots of money from you and end up saying that it depends
> > on what the judge feels like, and invite you to pay even more money for
> > opinions from his social parasite friends.
>
> This is the kind of area where trade union membership suddenly becomes
> extremely valuable.  Unions obviously have a lot of expertise in these
> matters and not only provide free legal advice to their members but will
> assist in any actual dispute.
>
> Of course, I'm one of only a tiny handful of people on the list who is a
> union member, so this may not be welcome advice.  I'm always amazed by
> the extreme antipathy so many geeks show towards the concept of union
> membership, especially since there is no alternative professional guild
> to protect their interests.  Seems to be one of the more stupid examples
> of elitism.  Geeks get fscked over by their employers as much as anybody
> else.

OK, putting a different hat on here. I am on the UKUUG council, we are
looking of ways of increasing member benefits. Is this something that
it could usefully do ? Eg: draw up model employment/consulting contracts,
have an FAQ for questions like the above.
I am NOT saying that we will do it (it may be too expensive): just asking a
question. The ultimate aim, of course, is to attract more members by doing
things like this.

> I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
> proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick

Well, no. It proves that he perceived that he had an experience of Disneyland.
That perception may have been false and perhaps even brought on by hallucinogenic
drugs taken in Judea in AD 50.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>