[Gllug] DNS hijacking

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Tue Jan 25 11:46:26 UTC 2005

Ian Norton wrote:

>Hi,
>
>has anyone else noticed recently a little bit of dns hijacking? Over the last
>week, sites like btefnet.org and openzaurus.org have randomly (for whole days
>at a time) sent me to various 'this domain is parked for a customer' pages.
>
>i'm wondering if my isp is having some serious issues (they are metronet who
>are a customer of claranet afaik)

Ian,
  I have not seen this happening, one way to check if it your ISP's DNS
server is to change to a different DNS server and re-run the query.
Under linux you can use nslookup and specify a server or just change the
DNS server your machine queries and refresh the page.  One of the
simplest to remember open DNS servers is 4.2.2.2 which I use to
troubleshoot DNS issues (use sparingly or they may close it off).

Andrew Farnsworth
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk