[Gllug] Random freezes

Craig Millar craig at shapero.com
Mon Jan 24 00:04:41 UTC 2005

Jack Bertram wrote:
>My main home Linux box used to run reliably (unless I rebooted it, it
>would run essentially without fault with max uptimes of over a year).
>However, increasing filesystem corruption and failure of boot scripts
>meant that I took the decision to replace it with a fresh install of
>Ubuntu.  Since then, it has begun to intermittently freeze.  Sometimes
>this is preceded by the root filesystem becoming readonly.  Nothing is
>written to the syslog so I haven't the foggiest how to trace the error.
>It's now running kernel 2.6.8 (ubuntu standard) whereas before I was on
>2.4.20.

odd - i've been having exactly the same problem on suse 9.2 with the
2.6.8 kernel - box freezes completely and responds only to a hard
reboot. been putting it down to aging hardware - but if you are having
similar problems perhaps it's more than coincidence. haven't been able
to turn up anything meaningful on the web either...
craig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk