[Gllug] How to prove a computer is overheating.

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 08:41:09 UTC 2005

	I have a number of computers that freeze on a semi-regular bases.
(They happern to be Disk-Less Thin Clients running LTSP)

	They freeze at any time, No matter what you are doing, but only in
certain places in the office, the Boxes will be more likly to freeze when
postioned next to a CRT display, or away from a cold draft. But Freeze
anywhere in our main work area somtimes.

	I have not yet seen one freeze in the server room, but then I
also have not tried to actually use one in the server room. (its too
noisy and very dry gives me a head ache) I have tryied leaving a couple
switched on in there and they have not frozzen so far.

	These computer do not have fans,

	Using a normal digital theomiter the temprature in our office
measures 24C (actually ranges between 22 and 28 depending on location)
and in the server room 21C.

	Do I have reasonable grounds for requesting the heating to turned
down. (On talking to other people they think its too warm here too but
only just).

	I know for babies the govenment surgest 19C and I would love to
take the server room down to about 17C or below but if we try that the air
con blows up and we need an engineer to fix it. Possibly because its
fighting the heating.

	Another strange thing is the Air Con in the server room is
happeier in the summer when the heating is switch off. (ie less likly to
break)

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk