[Gllug] speaking of DNS server setups...

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jan 4 18:21:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 05:07:57PM +0000, Benedikt Heinen wrote:
> >>Second, and now it gets more interesting, can I specify exceptions?
> >Yes. The wildcard is used only where there is no explicit record.
>
> Can I specify a "non-record", or do I have to create an illegal one?

It might work to do something like:

dontwantitanymore  IN  A  127.0.0.1

or:

dontwantitanymore  IN  MX 127.0.0.1

or how about:

dontwantitanymore  IN CNAME dontwantitanymore

if you want to waste (spammers') time!

I wasn't sure what you were trying to achieve by setting the NS record
below.

> 	dontwantitanymore	IN	NS	127.0.0.1

[...]
> The problem sets in, when I want to remove a single address -- there are
> still loads of attempts to send an email to that address. If I had a
> sub-domain per recipient, I could turn off individual subdomains if I got
> spammed on that one - effectively reducing traffic, as there will be DNS
> traffic only...

I'm pretty sure that to do complex stuff like this you're better off
doing it in the MTA itself, rather than through DNS.  For example, if
you detect someone trying to send repeatedly to the deleted domain,
you could add some calls to sleep(2).

Rich.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk