[Gllug] Dvorak Keyboards and vim

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Jan 17 18:02:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Tethys said:
> Nix writes:
>
>>That's OK, I already think you're a heretic and possibly insane for
>>switching *away* from the One True Editor anyway. ;)
>
> Emacs isn't a great editor, at least in its default state.

The default defaults suck quite considerably, yes: we can't change
them without people complaining, alas :(

With any of the half-a-dozen init-files scattered around the net, it's
much nicer.

XEmacs has somewhat nicer defaults, too.

>                                                            Not intended
> as a flame, just a statement of fact -- as a tool for entering text
> into a computer, there are better options available. People like Emacs
> not because it's a great editor, but because it does all sorts of
> other things as well as editing text (reading mail & news, browsing

Er, actually, I like it because it's a terribly good text editor *if
configured correctly*. (That's the rub.)

> because it's LISP, and they think LISP is the answer to life, the
> universe and everything :-)

That too --- but not much, because it's a *sucky* Lisp.

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk