[Gllug] 3 Ware RAID (not)

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Fri Jan 14 16:35:01 UTC 2005

To answer some of the questions ... I used the ATA133 cables supplied with
the 3ware and re-used them in the rebuild. They seem OK - no visible damage
and no errors are being logged now.

I did suspect the machine was running warm or that the PSU could have been
acting up, but the voltages were OK. I changed the PSU during the re-build.
The Maxtor drive test utility passed two drives (0 and 2) and failed one,
drive 1, the same one that was logging errors. The other two are now working
fine in a soft raid 0 setup in another machine.

Even so - at the time of the failure, and on the original PSU, only drive 1
was dead according to the Maxtors test that seemed reasonable as it had been
logging errors. Drive 2 passed Maxtors test but was flagged as 'incomplete'
according to the 3ware bios program. Only drive 0 showed up as available. It
seems strange that drive 2, supposedly error free according to the post
failure testing, was flagged as incomplete by the 3ware bios.

The 3ware card's drives show up as one large drive at /dev/sda when
configured in raid 5. The ide devices are hidden (sort of) by the 3ware
firmware.

I didn't know about the 3ware option in smartctl - that works - genius.
There must be some interface on the 3ware that allows smartctl to
interrogate the drive status on the 3ware - clever.

Mabe this was just a freak occurance - I hope so anyway.

Ken