[Gllug] DNS for New Domain

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Wed Jan 26 17:13:36 UTC 2005

Thus spaketh Steve Nelson on Wednesday 26 January 2005 12:00:
> Hello all,
>
> Having just moved house, we no longer have adsl - this is being
> remedied, as zen will shortly be providing me with 8 static IPs.
>
> I am about to purchase mynewdomain.org.uk from $SOMEWHERE_ELSE which,
> of course, I will want to point to various IPs.
>
> What do folk typically do for DNS?  In the past (using demon) I've
> never had to think about it.
>
> I assume joker / 123-reg can manage DNS for you, with some kind of web
> front end.
>
> Alternatively I assume if one had a few machines kicking around (which
> I do) one could manage one's own DNS.
>
> What do you guys do / recommend?

When I hosted stuff on my Demon adsl machine, I put the authoritative NS for
each domain on the machine at the end of that adsl connection (which used
Bind), and had a friend provide secondary NS from elsewhere. I did this,
rather than use my registrar's front end, because I much preferred direct
access for making any changes. This works well where changes were anything
more than occasional, getting some DNS experience is important, or you just
Have To Know that a change has been made.

Now I use register4less to get the (non UK) domains, and use their front end
to take control over DNS for each. Primary DNS (as well as mail and web) I
handle off machines at Bytemark. I use Gradwell to provide secondary NS and
mail.
--
Alistair

[ aim: LGeezerAIM | yahoo: lgeezer_yho | msn: msnpassport at lgeezer.net ]