[Gllug] Name server software?

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Tue Jan 4 13:47:33 UTC 2005

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> I was under the impression that BIND was what people used for the same
> reasons they still use Sendmail: they it know and it is well-tested and
> working (cf, "Legacy" thread also on GLLUG right now).  Are the newer
> DNS implementation truly not worth considering?  Have they not improved
> on anything?

Nah - BIND 9 is decent.  Don't touch BIND 8 or BIND 4 with a very long
pole, but 9 is a complete rewrite and they've done a good job.

That said, I've not used any of the other newer systems, but they don't
have any features I want, and some of them add features I'd flee from
(mysql integration!?!?!?!).

doug.

--
doug at isotoma.com  /  Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 020 76350943 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk