[Gllug] Questions re desktop 150 miles away.

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Jan 22 14:28:42 UTC 2005

On Saturday 22 January 2005 09:01, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I am shortly going to be in the situation of installing Fedora Core 3 onto
> a new desktop for my sister, which is then going to be located 150 miles
> away, used intermittently and only to have short bursts of dialup internet
> connectivity for emails only. The only means of updating it will be through
> updates burnt onto a CD or DVD and posted to her.
>
> Therefore, some questions;-
> A - What folders do I need to copy to the CD for yum to use when updating
> please?
>
> B - What commands will have to be used at the command line to tell yum to
> update from the CD please?
assuming that you install *exactly* the same packages on her system as on
yours ( so there are no missing updates/dependencies)...
the yum cache directory is (by default on FC3) /var/cache/yum
I have successfully backed this (and /var/spool/up2date) up and transferred
them to another machine, and updated from there.
up2date will also use yum repositories if you edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
and add lines like these:
yum zeniiia-fedora-core-3
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/
yum zeniiia-updates-released
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/
-t hose will wrap, and should have been exactly two lines, each beginning
'yum'.
there are more examples in the default sources file.

if you are using up2date you can also do an
up2date -l -k /var/spool/up2date:/my/updates/dir:/another/updates/dir
which will still need internet for header checking (I think ???) but will look
in the colon-separated list of directories for the headers and rpms

you can also edit her /etc/yum.conf (or the individual files
in /etc/yum.repos.d) and chage the baseurl= settings to point to local
directories instead of using the internet at all

e.g (an edited example from my /etc/yum.conf)
[dag]
name=Dag APT Repository
baseurl=file://var/cache/yum/dag
##gpgcheck=1

this would rely on you having put these files in place. the baseurl directive
must point to a directory containing a 'headers' subdirectory.

more info:

man yum.conf

HTH

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX
Try to divide your time evenly to keep others happy.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk