[Gllug] HSBC problems!

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Jan 4 08:28:04 UTC 2005

Ben Fitzgerald writes:

>Have to wait and see what they say caused the problem. Anyone know
>what they run, out of interest? I'd imagine they must have several
>legacy systems?

*Every* company has several legacy systems, where the precise definition
varies depending on who you speak to. Microsoft consider anything running
on Unix to be a legacy system, for example. Others feel the same about
anything running on DOS/Windows. Most would class a mainframe as a legacy
system... unless they're one of those that don't. It's a pointless term
that has no real meaning in the IT world.

IIRC, most ATM networks use OS/2 (or increasingly Windows) in the
machines themselves, and Tandem at the backend.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk