[Gllug] Scrounge - anyone got an old mobo for an athlon 2200+ and sdram err ram?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jan 11 00:07:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Tethys moaned:

> Ian Norton writes:
>
>>are big companies throwing out 1.5~ GHz boxes now? :-)
>
> Yes. Not throwing out, but we sold off our 1.7GHz machines for not
> very much.

Wow. I just *got* an 800MHz box with 256Mb of RAM at work; the headless
Unix boxes have heaps of RAM but it's all eaten up by Oracle, and the
fastest of them is a 200MHz UltraSPARC.

(It's got so I use my home machines for anything that requires
computational speed or memory capacity. They're an order of magnitude
faster than anything work's got, and *they're* all over three years
old!)

It must be nice to work for a company that spends actual money on
its staff's equipment.

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk