[Gllug] Anyone know anything about hardware ?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Jan 25 11:32:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 17:08 +0000, Joel Bernstein wrote:

> Fujitsu have a post regarding this:
> http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products/hard-drives/hd-public-statment.html
>

> It sounds as though your drive may work when cool, but not once it warms
> up. This seems to be typical of the problem relating to the CL
> controller chip.

I don't know if it is any help with a controller chip problem,
but I've had success in getting a dodgy drive to work by putting it
in a sealed bag then into the freezer, say for a few hours or overnight.
If it does work, then obviously read the data off the drive quickly.

This was a drive on a slot-loading iMac which refused to spin up
sometimes. iMac still going strong with new larger drive.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk