PC World are useless - was Re: [Gllug] OT: microdirect.co.ukreliable?

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Fri Jan 14 10:45:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 03:19:13PM -0000, Luke Hopkins wrote:
> They may say they don't do discounts, but they do. When I was in Uni
> one of the guys on my course worked in PC world. I went in to get a
> joystick one weekend, choise of two both marked up at £29.99, we went
> to the terminal, he showed me what he could do on each one. One for
> £20, one for £15 (which I obviously took).
>
> All their products except consumables are discoutable, but of course
> all the staff on the floor work on commision (which is capped per day,
> so end of the day in a busy store is the best time to go).

I have another datapoint that would seem to confirm this.

Recently I bought a bluetooth dongle from PC World (in Colliers Wood if
that matters to anyone). On the shelf it was priced at £20, but when the
till droid scanned it, it showed as £25. I tpointed out the discrepancy
to him and he happily took my word for it and discounted the product by
£5 without checking with anyone else. OOf course, it took him ten
minutes to work out _how_ to apply the discount and everyone else in the
queue was completely pissed off with me by the time he'd finished, but I
_did_ get the product for the right price.

My favourite PC World story was trying to get Linux printer
compatibility information from a sales droid in the branch just north of
Wandsworth Bridge. He knew he couldn't help me, but assured me that he'd
check with the Linux rep the next time he came in. I expressed surprise
that they had a "Linux rep" and asked which company the rep works for,
only to be told that "he works for Linux, of course".

Dave...

--
  If you miss an opportunity to see him perform... you're a total asshole.
  David Cross rocks my world.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk