[Gllug] IBM BIOS battery change

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Jan 4 14:01:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Chris Bell wrote:

>Hello, and a happy new year to one and all,
>
>   I have changed the battery in a genuine IBM Pentium II desktop box, but
>still get an error message on screen that there is a battery fault, and the
>CMOS memory has been cleared. Should this normally go away of its own accord
>with a new battery, or do I need to reset anything to clear the error
>message, apart from resetting the BIOS, or is it a bin job?

You'll probably want to reset the BIOS to defaults, using the BIOS reset
option or M/B jumper.

There is probably a checksum error in the NVRAM storing the values, which
is not being corrected until new values are saved by the BIOS.

Of course, if you've already done that, I'm stumped.

Christian

--
    /"\
    / \