[Gllug] Excuses for slow server response times

Jack Richards jack at gnu-solutions.com
Mon Jan 24 18:13:04 UTC 2005

Xmas eve...   Most of the servers we look after got a real hammering.

I would suggest that if the ISP hosted other servies they might have been
eating up the bandwidth.

Or if your server is a virtual one something like an IBM 390 with virtual
partitioning, they allocated more CPU to some other customer with more money
to cover the Xmas load.

Best guess would be shared load problems, bad network interconnect with DB
server, bad capacity planning.  Or the tech support guys were playing TuxRacer
on your box.

Ask them for the network and server logs / stats. And failing that if its an
important system, get them to agree to SLAs

Quoting Simon Perry <gllug at si-designs.co.uk>:

> Hi All,
>
> I use a web service API that in it's first stage simply returns results
> from a database. On Xmas eve execution times went from a .5 second
> average to a 6 second average and stayed that way until I finally got
> hold of the company in early Jan. Since then I have been badgering for
> an explanation and assurance that it won't happen again. Now I don't
> know what platforms / databases they run so this will be very general
> conjecture.
>
> I have received a reply today that I'm pretty dubious about. I don't
> want to quote directly but to summarise
>
> Response time increased because less people were using the service over
> that period.
>
> Less searches were stored in memory so results were retrieved from the
> database and were thus slower.
>
> Even if they employ database caching some queries must have been
> duplicated over that time. Yet no call was quicker than 5.5 seconds with
> the slowest being a massive 68 seconds.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Simon
>

> --

Jack Richards

GNU Solutions Ltd
Atlantic House
Imperial Way
Reading
Berks.
RG2 0TD

web   : www.gnu-solutions.com
email : jack at gnu-solutions.com
Office: +44 (0)845 89 00 767
DDI   : +44 (0)845 89 00 767 ext 4001
Mobile: +44 (0)7788 437 904
Fax   : +44 (0)871  277 1937

*

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please accept our apology.
We should be obliged if you would email them by return.

Thank you.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk