[Gllug] Re: How to prove a computer is overheating

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Fri Jan 14 16:20:50 UTC 2005

Just wanted to add some info to this, firstly our server room at work which
is approx 86m x 90m is kept around 22C its fairly static except that some
racks do have hot spots.  Secondly I run a bunch of servers in a loft,
during the winter its regularly at 4 degrees or less.  During the summer
40+C is often seen.  The only problem I had with doing this (and there are
machines that have been running 24x7 for some years - one even an old p166
and  Some Dell Pcs/ Dell puka servers and some home made rackmount kit) is
that the APC UPS batteries cant take heat, they might last one summer if im
lucky so these have been moved into a normal room and everything runs great.
I do make sure that the filters on the servers (esp raid arrays) are clean 3
or 4 times a year but its not that dusty in the loft really.

If your worried its heat check the bios - loads of machines now have a
shutdown on overheat option available, last award bios I fiddled with just
made you pick a temperature first for cpu overheat.  75C was the default I
think although I may be wrong on that.

Message: 5