[Gllug] DNS for New Domain

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Jan 26 12:44:25 UTC 2005

Steve Nelson wrote:
> What do folk typically do for DNS?  In the past (using demon) I've
> never had to think about it.

bind9  (see earlier lengthy discussion!)

> I assume joker / 123-reg can manage DNS for you, with some kind of web
> front end.

well what I do is:

123-reg run my DNS - I use their web interface to manage the few records
I have set (changes used to take about 24 hours to take effect but seem
to have been much quicker recently)

very straightforward for A records but I have found mail routing a more
complex issue...

I point my primary MX records at my adsl connected machine and secondary
MX records at 123-regs mail forwarders.

If my ADSL connection is down incoming mail is forwarded to my ISP's pop
mailbox and I fetchmail it in later (or use webmail from work if ADSL is
down for days)

Running your own DNS is easy enough for simple setups but the only
advantage it would give me is faster changes (and I'd have to worry
about secondary servers)

I used to have a secondary mail server that would queue mail for me and
redeliver later - but the ADSL went down for a month (someone at BT
knocked a card loose in the exchange). As I couldn't read mail sitting
on the secondary server I was then stuffed.

This way if my connection goes down I can at least read my mail from
work and download it at home later.

The downside is that I can't reject junk (spam, viruses etc) sent via my
secondary MX - as I've fetchmailed it ...

(I can /dev/null it but I'd prefer to reject so that if there are any
false positives the sender will get a non delivery message)

> Alternatively I assume if one had a few machines kicking around (which
> I do) one could manage one's own DNS.

You don't need to dedicate a machine to serve DNS for a personal domain
- it's very low load and not worth the pollution generated

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk