[Gllug] Excuses for slow server response times

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 18:07:11 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I use a web service API that in it's first stage simply returns results
from a database. On Xmas eve execution times went from a .5 second
average to a 6 second average and stayed that way until I finally got
hold of the company in early Jan. Since then I have been badgering for
an explanation and assurance that it won't happen again. Now I don't
know what platforms / databases they run so this will be very general
conjecture.

I have received a reply today that I'm pretty dubious about. I don't
want to quote directly but to summarise

Response time increased because less people were using the service over
that period.

Less searches were stored in memory so results were retrieved from the
database and were thus slower.

Even if they employ database caching some queries must have been
duplicated over that time. Yet no call was quicker than 5.5 seconds with
the slowest being a massive 68 seconds.

What do you think?

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk