OT: PC World are useless - was Re: [Gllug] OT: microdirect.co.uk reliable?

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Jan 14 10:21:49 UTC 2005

>Me:            I'm looking for a PostScript printer. Do you have any?
>Salescritter:  We've got this windows printer on special offer. It does
>               $UNFEASIBLY_HUGE dpi, $LOTS of pages per minute, and works
>               fine with recent versions of Windows.
>Me:            No. It's not a real printer, you're quoting interpolated
>               resolution rather than true resolution, and you've ignored
>               my primary requirement that it support PostScript.
>Salescritter:  Oh. What's PostScript? Is that a word processor?

This conversation is similar to the one I recently had with Bulldog DSL
(who is no longer my ISP).

Me: I cannot reach my web server hosted in the US from my Broadband
connection, however, I can if I dial out to another provider.  The
domain name is flash.stonedoor.com.

Supportcritter: Hmm, I cannot bring that up, let me ping it... I'm
sorry, that is an unknown host.

Me: Unknown host? The name resolves from here but the pings do not go
through.  Maybe you typoed on the name, what exactly did you ping?

Supportcritter: I typed "ping http://flash.stonedoor.com".

Me: May I speak to your manager please....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk