[Gllug] HSBC problems!

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Jan 4 13:03:32 UTC 2005

This one time, at band camp, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

> What term would you use instead to describe systems that are still in
> operation but effectively unsupported (or soon to be unsupported) by
> the vendor?

I wouldn't use that as the definition.  I think the sense of the
standard dictionary definition is closer to the truth.  In other words,
something inherited due to decisions made by someone else.  In practical
terms, this means something you wouldn't choose to use today, but you
have to support because it does something important that you don't want
to have to re-implement.

Many of these legacy systems are, indeed, actively well-supported by
their vendors, which was likely a large part of the decision to use
them in the first place.  Something people implementing important
applications on today's versions of Windows should take into account
when choosing a platform!

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Because geeks travel too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

"Why do we have to hide from the police, Daddy?"
"Because we use emacs, son. They use vi."