[Gllug] Anybody with experience of Bacula

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jan 24 13:14:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 12:30:17PM +0000, Doug wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> >Never used Bacula, but I'd be curious what limitations you're hitting
> >with Amanda.
>
> The biggest one is the no-partitions-bigger-than-a-tape constraint,

That's a big one.  The bacula concept of volumes, which can be spread
over an arbitrary number of $storage_medium_units, is very attractive.

The other is the lack of support for encryption in amanda, which makes
it an insecure backup tool.  The fact that the actual backup traffic
goes over UDP makes it very difficult to work around this.

These together mean that amanda really doesn't scale, because the
potential workarounds are time-comsuming for each new client host.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.