[Gllug] Web based ssh or similar

Jack Richards jack at gnu-solutions.com
Sat Jan 29 11:54:18 UTC 2005

The Java Telnet Project is a good start.

Its a java applet that can be placed in a web page and served up to the
browser.  There are a few security issues and these are well documented in the
manual/readme.  I would use JTA20_o.o, the optimised version.  It works well.

Down side is it uses SSH1 and requires an SSH server.  It is not a tunneled
system, so port 22 is still used - however, saying that it makes it really
easy to integrate to an existing system

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b88039/archive/testCol/applet/jta25/

This is not the main site, that has moved recently, but its easy to find with
google.  There is also a sourceforge site too.

Regards

Jack

Quoting Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk>:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to be able to log in to my home network from some random
> (likely Windows or net-cafe) machine occasionally. I figure an easy way
> to accomplish this is to set up a webpage which serves an ssh client so
> I can do it all through a browser.
>
> Is there anything like this available?
>
> What are the security issues (beyond the usual ssh and web issues, of
> course)
>
> Cheers
>
> Dylan
> --
> "I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"
>                                   -Dark Helmet
> --

Jack Richards

GNU Solutions Ltd
Atlantic House
Imperial Way
Reading
Berks.
RG2 0TD

web   : www.gnu-solutions.com
email : jack at gnu-solutions.com
Office: +44 (0)845 89 00 767
DDI   : +44 (0)845 89 00 767 ext 4001
Mobile: +44 (0)7788 437 904
Fax   : +44 (0)871  277 1937

*

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please accept our apology.
We should be obliged if you would email them by return.

Thank you.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk