[Gllug] ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless recommendations

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Jan 13 13:44:18 UTC 2005

This one time, at band camp, Robert P. McKenzie wrote:
> I'm on the hunt for a new adsl modem/router/firewall/vpn server/wireless
> ap and would like to know what others have used and recommend.
>
> My basic requirements are:
>
> 	Wireless MUST have 802.11a/b/g
> 	Firewall - fully configurable in and out
> 	SNMP management
> 	VPN server on the box IPSEC and PPTP
>
> Anything else doesn't matter.  For the wireless side it would be nice to
> have 802.11 Pre-N, but not needed.

Any of the wireless routers supported by OpenWRT can do this, with a bit
of farting around.  OpenWRT is a free Linux firmware for these devices.

http://openwrt.org/

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Because geeks travel too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

 "The problem with political jokes is they get elected."
- Henry Cate