[Gllug] Dvorak Keyboards and vim

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 14 15:55:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Tethys suggested tentatively:
> of Dvorak have been widely discredited anyway. The only reason to
> switch layout these days is to try and avoid RSI. In which case, go

This is what I'm aiming for.

> for a Maltron layout that's explicitly designed for that purpose and
> does a far better job than either QWERTY or Dvorak anyway.

That looks very nifty; thanks to images.google.com I've found
<http://moecawa.daa.jp/blog/archives/kinesis_maltron.JPG> which makes it
plain that both layouts actually appear on the keycaps: excellent.

I've run into Karl Fogel singing the praises of Maltron keyboards in the
past (which means I can be sure that it doesn't annoy Emacs users too
much :) ).

Poor old vi people are really in trouble: all those positional
keybindings are totally broken by any new layout, while the Emacs style
(almost but not quite `bind the keys at random, let the users get used
to it') always works. :)

In a few months, when I actually have some money, I'll get one of these,
I think. (Then there's only the other machine upstairs and the work
keyboard to replace. I'll probably have to end up buying several of
them...)

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk