[Gllug] DEC site melts down

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Mon Jan 3 15:13:32 UTC 2005

> Please do lay into Microsoft when you've actually got a case - I'll be
> right behind you.  This kind of comment just makes linux users look
> like idiots.
>
> Why not raise a valid point like why charities are wasting money on
> software licences?

Charities get very big discounts

this is because

i) big software companies are public spirited

or

ii) big software companies don't want anyone using free software and
know that charities can't all waste large sums of money...

Also charities are quite risk averse organisation and so can't be
expected to pioneer new ways of working.

One of the odd things about web development is that there are an awful
lot of wheels being invented - not a great deal of standardisation and
little off the shelf software.

Does anyone know of an organisation co-ordinating web/IT development
between charities? (I'm looking for knowledge sharing and maybe joint
software development).

--

Sean
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk