Ancient UNIX; was Re: [Gllug] loadavg

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jan 26 11:51:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Ian Northeast said:
[snip fascinating wonderful weird tale]
> Anyone else here ever seen UNIX function with no IP stack? I did, last
> year.

Hasn't everyone?

In my case it was an SGI Indigo (not Indy) back in 1992 or thereabouts:
the local hardware deity had been cleaning the (hideously filled with
metallic dust) inside with a tiny custom-modified vacuum cleaner, when
a capacitor or something on the NIC snapped off and went zooming up
the pipe.

But the machine was still needed, so while the hardware deity replaced
the capacitor and modified the vacuum cleaner to blow, not suck, said
Indigo was running with no NIC, and I was *trying* to develop on it.

It was remarkably difficult, not least because the only name it could
resolve was `localhost'. (Whoops.)

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk