[Gllug] OT: Dedicated Server Supplier

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Tue Jan 18 17:31:53 UTC 2005

Benedikt Heinen wrote:
> One question - why is it that hosting in the UK seems so bloody
> expensive? If there were a significant price in, say, DSL connectivity
> between the UK and other countries - THAT I could understand (simply
> because you don't have the option of going somewhere else).

That is a really good question, and I wish I knew the answer.  I imagine
the general extra cost of doing business in the UK (transport to/from an
island, high value of land that sort of thing) contributes, but I can't
see why it's so different.

> But with hosting - what's the difference to you, if your server is
> hosted in the UK or somewhere in a brush in deepest Africa, as long as
> the provider offers the services you want, and as long as they have a
> decent connectivity.

It's a good idea - unfortunately my language skills are woefully
inadequate, and I'd need to be hosting somewhere where I could guarantee
someone fluent in English on the other end of the phone.

Transit and latency for the users could be an issue, but the site for
which I am doing this has users all over the world, so location isn't
that critical.

doug.

--
doug at isotoma.com  /  Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 020 76350943 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk