[Gllug] OT: Unwanted email

Robert Newson ran at bullet3.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 22:17:15 UTC 2005

Tethys wrote:

> Nix writes:
>
>>(I don't do it because I *want* spam. I'm even holding on to an old
>>and rather expensive Demon account for exactly that purpose.)
>
> Dare I ask why? The only valid reason I can think of is to accumulate a
> suitably large corpus for training anti-spam measures...

Oddly, so am I...I've been spam collecting for the last 2 years.  2 years
ago I received ~8600 spam in the year (first year of being spammed).  Last
year I received ~36,300 spam.  So far this year (ie over Jan) I've received
~3,400.

I'm a mathematician and I suppose I've been collecting them to statistically
analyse them.  I've noticed that now I'm getting most spam twice to 2
different mailboxes from the same source at the same time.

I suppose I could use them for spam teaching if I could be bothered - my
spam filtering is dead easy on the envelope-to: field.

The worst thing last year was that most of the spam I received was
spamvertising web sites hosted by wanadoo; the eaddr to which they were sent
is hosted by freeserve - owned by wanadoo!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk