[Gllug] Name server software?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 00:59:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 13:06 +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
> > >So, which name server software should I use?  It needs to be free
> > >software (so no DJB-ware) and support wildcard domain names.
> > >
> > BIND9.
>
> I was under the impression that BIND was what people used for the same
> reasons they still use Sendmail: they it know and it is well-tested and
> working (cf, "Legacy" thread also on GLLUG right now).

There's also pragmatism. If you ever work with real world systems,
you're going to use BIND sooner or later, so you may as well learn it.
If you only ever intend to use DNS on your personal systems, then you
might not encounter BIND. Otherwise, it's almost inevitable.

> Are the newer
> DNS implementation truly not worth considering?  Have they not improved
> on anything?
>
> I ask because after a short time struggling with Sendmail, I now find
> Postfix to be vastly VASTLY superior.

<troll>
Do tell how. I'd be curious....
</troll>