[Gllug] How to prove a computer is overheating.

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 21:12:23 UTC 2005

On Fri 14 Jan, Peter Childs wrote:

> 	I have a number of computers that freeze on a semi-regular bases.
> (They happern to be Disk-Less Thin Clients running LTSP)

   I used to work under very difficult conditions which varied between
overheating and overcooling, together with anything from absolutely dry to
almost underwater (even actually underwater). We even had so much water that
copper tracks started dissolving from the circuit boards.
   Standard techniques that we used for fault finding included covering with
cloth to force overheating, liberal use of hair dryers (with or without
heating on) and spraying with non-flammable non-electrically-conductive
liquids to force-cool small areas. Dry joints often showed up while gentle
tapping with a screwdriver handle.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk