[Gllug] How to store configuration information ?

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Mon Jan 10 16:54:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a number of applications (over 100 individual apps) that require common
configuration information plus some specific configuration information. These
applications are distributed across multiple machine on Linux, Unix and
Windows and are written in Java, C++ and Perl scripts.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions for storing/distributing the
config data. I want to avoid config files as this makes it tricky to move
machines quickly and there is always the probability that the common stuff
will not get updated in one (or more) files. We talked about using a
relational database for this, but I am not so sure it is the ideal repository.
There was also the suggestion of using LDAP. The data is predominantly
name=value pairs with most values being numeric or strings. Some binary values
may be needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to store this so it is easily
available from all platforms and languages ? Pointers to any reading
resources, if known would be useful.

Thanks

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk