[Gllug] Geographcial server failover

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 19:14:44 UTC 2005

On Fri 28 Jan, Tethys wrote:

> Alistair Mann writes:
>
> >Manchester, 1 year ago, 130,000 affected.
>
> Not just voice, either. We lost connectivity to our Manchester data
> centres, because although paying for redundant conenctions, with two
> entry points on the opposite sides of the building, it turned out that
> BT had routed both through the same tunnel (the one that caught fire).
> No, we weren't impressed...

   That sounds similar to the first day of BBC 2 TV with the duct fire at
Battersea Power Station. The problem had been forseen, but precautions were
deemed too expensive. That fire took out most of London, including the two
maintained supplies to TV Centre which also connected other important
institutions such as hospitals.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk