[Gllug] Linux for re-imaging Windows disks

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Jan 30 17:11:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 16:44 +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:
> I've hit a problem where a Linux box seems to be the right solution, but
> the company has never used and doesn't trust Linux.
I've worked a lot with imaging for Linux cluster installs.
(Must admit to not having to image any Windows systems)

There are several ways of imaging systems - dd, rsync etc.
and the Systemimager package.
I think Systemimager is Linux specific.

g4u (ghost for unix) looks the ticket for you
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

You boot the PC to be imaged using a special bootdisk (CD or floppy)
(I guess this could be done over the network) and upload the image
to a server via FTP. It is stored compressed.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk