[Gllug] Biitorrent for a dummy

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Jan 25 10:20:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 12:43:10PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Obviously I am stupid but I just don't understand how to get Bittorrent
> to work in Linux/Mozilla.
>
> I have downloaded the relevant pacakage for my setup (FC3) and the
> readme file references a "INSTALL.unix.txt" which isn't part of the
> package.
>
> Googling gets me lots of stuff about Windows...

Sorry that I'm replying direct from the start but it appears my earlier reply
got eaten either by pixies or exim

This is what I do, It uses the command line tools for bittorrent/bittornado.

1. install bittornado (its exactly the same as bittorrent but has download
throttling)

2. install screen

3. mkdir /home/user/BT

4. screen btlaunchmanycurses --max_upload_rate 5 --max_download_rate 30 \
   /home/user/BT

5. detach the screen

That lot will give you a thing that is very easy to integrate with firefox,
all you do is save the .torrent files into /home/user/BT and it will begin
downloading them after a few seconds.

This is quite handy if, like me you have a linux box as your gateway, you can
simply knock up a little script that when called by firefox will copy a
.torrent file to the /home/user/BT folder when you click a torrent link.

if you want to see your torrent progress then simply do 'screen -r'

if you want to stop a torrent then you simply need to move or delete it's
.torrent file from that folder.

I hope this helps

Ian

> --

/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
 */
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk