[Gllug] Dell Embedded Remote Access (ERA) Cards

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Jan 25 11:26:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 11:22 +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 14:17 +0000, Doug Winter wrote:
> > Anyone used these with Linux?  Good/Bad/Awful?  Any experience welcome,
> > since I don't know whether to get them or not.
> >
> > And yes I know Real Weasels are better, but they cost an absolute
> > frigging fortune :)
> >
> We work a lot with IPMI cards on several types of server on Intel,
> Opteron boards and Sun kit.

ps. check what type of serial access you get to the BIOS.
We enable serial consoles on all our nodes,
and either using a Cyclades terminal server or IPMI cards we
get serial access for debugging right from boot up.

The new Intel EMT64 nodes we have now also have what
looks like Real Firmware (TM) in addition to a BIOS.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk