[Gllug] Dvorak Keyboards and vim

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Fri Jan 14 09:32:52 UTC 2005

On 13 Jan 2005, at 17:40, Simon Morris wrote:
> I've recently been given a Dvorak keyboard which I *was* interested to
> learn... until my first vi session.

Personally, my first attempt at learning Dvorak was thwarted by Emacs
key-bindings. I didn't manage to switch to Dvorak until after I had
switched to vim (that was not a conscious effort, by the way, but a
coincidence).

PS: I don't see why you need a Dvorak keyboard (assuming you mean it's
hardwired to be Dvorak). Just remap the keys of a QWERTY keyboard. I
never managed to learn touch typing on QWERTY, but I have no problems
with it now. Now, if I look at the keyboard while typing, I just get
extra confused.

> All of a sudden I realised my 'hjkl' method of navigating in vi wasn't
> going to work so well.

Just learn the new position of the keys. It takes some time, but it's
not a problem. Vi offer so many other ways of movements that are more
useful anyway that I find those keys highly overrated. The {}()ewbEWB
keys, for example, I find a lot more powerful.

Stig

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk