[Gllug] New home linux system

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Jan 25 15:04:26 UTC 2005

Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Sean Burlington <sean at uncertainty.org.uk> [050125 14:18]:
>
>>I have a DVB card which gives me the freeview channels in great quality
>>- they are saved as the arrive in MPEG2 format so the file size is quite
>>large and compressing to MPEG4 is apparently tricky to get right but I
>>haven't tried it yet.
>

> Which DVB card do you have?  Would you recommend it, or another one?

The box said Hauppage WinTV nova-t

but there are lots of different chipsets sold under the same name ...

I had to patch in the latest drivers from
http://cvs.bytesex.org/video4linux.html

and I don't have a working remote at them moment (but development seems
very active)

There are better supported chipsets - the problem is just finding out
what you are buying...

>>The web interface to program listings & recording schedules is really
>>easy to use.
>

> Presumably I can use this remotely as well as from my home?

yep - it's just php so you can serve it however you want.

>>I was tempted by the hard disk recorders now available commercially but
>>according to reviews these are still buggy and the tv guide transmited
>>on the DVB signal is incomplete for some channels.
>

> Where does MythTV get its tv guide from?  Does it do things like
> rescheduling recording if programme scheduling changes?

It uses http://membled.com/work/apps/xmltv/

I use the grabber for radiotimes.com (they provide a parseable text
version after negotiation with the xmltv team)

Other grabbers are available including one that uses the dvb data (this
includes radio listings which ironically aren't in radiotimes ...)

>>In the end I decided that MythTV has a feature set that isn't even
>>nearly matched elsewhere ...
>

> I'm very tempted.

go on - you know you want to :)

it's even popular with the non-techie in the house

--

Sean
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk