[Gllug] Long-term storage of digital photographs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 07:29:45 UTC 2005

On Tue 19 Jul, John Winters wrote:

> What would the team recommend as a medium for long-term archiving of
> digital photographs?  I would like to be able to go back at least 20
> years (like you can with shoe-boxes full of conventional photographs and
> negatives) and embarrass my children in front of their spice/children.
> Do CD-Rs and DVD-Rs have proven data life?

   Is there any system that is guaranteed for long life? I have a few
magneto-optical discs, purchased at great expense when they looked huge.
They claimed a minimum 25 year data life, nuclear radiation proof, and to
be virtually indestructible. The even more expensive drive failed, turned
out to be a grey import, and was disowned by the UK company.
   Another friend who purchased two drives from a different manufacturer
allowed them to be used for a single short-term loan, and they were returned
wrecked by cigarette ash.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk