[Gllug] Data Sources for Product Prices

Mike Leigh mike.leigh at hornbill.com
Wed Jul 6 17:44:38 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have been thinking for some time now that in this modern age of 'Online
Shopping' there must be an easy way to work out what products to buy for the
home and how frequently based on consumption.  Is there an existing product
/ source code that does something similar that anyone knows of ?

My idea revolves around a kitchen terminal with a barcode reader.  When you
use a product you scan the barcode so the product is flagged for reorder.  I
don't want to go into the details of this part just yet as its still an
idea.

However I am looking to work out which store has the best price for the
product I want to buy.  So after a google session and ending up with
dealtime, kelkoo and the like I have still come to a dead end in finding a
reliable online source of current prices of say Heinz Baked Beans.

Simply going to the stores online shop requires authentication / user login
and is not as far as I can tell suitable for screen scraping.

Has anyone ever looked into this and if so can anyone point me to some
source code or rss feeds of product prices.

All this is to make the weekly / monthly shop easier and hopefully when the
Tesco's get around to allowing API type communications I can very quickly
fill my shopping basket or have my kitchen pc order the food for me.

Many thanks

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk