[Gllug] River Thames

Philip Davies pdavies1 at bitbucket.plus.com
Tue Jul 12 20:43:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:52:35PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 15:20 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> > If anyone has a view of the Thames up-river of Dartford Crossing, and
> > is interested, an aircrafyt carrier with a Harrier up front is coming
> > up the THames presently (just passed Northfleet/Tilbury).
>
> Woo!
> The last time, the Hermes anchored off Greenwich, at the liner terminal
> which is at the mouth of Deptford Creek.
> I gather such a large draught ship cannot get up further.
> And it was a very, very low tide earlier today (anyone nautical
> care to explain why?)

The BBC web site provides some excellent information, here's their
explanation:-

  Q. What are "Spring" and "Neap" tides?
  Spring and Neap tides are created by the relationship between the
  Earth and the Moon during each lunar month. Spring tides occur
  shortly after New and Full Moon, and Neap tides occur shortly after
  the Moon is in its First and Third Quarter.

  Spring tides occur when the gravitational forces of the Sun and Moon
  reinforce each other resulting in a higher than normal tidal range.
  Neap tides occur when these gravitational forces act at right angles
  to each other resulting in a lower than normal tidal range. Spring
  tides are nothing to do with the season, but it is believed the name
  is derived from a medieval word to "leap up". Neap comes from an old
  English word for "low" or "to nip".

There is lots of other info on tides at:-

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/coast_sea/tidesfaq.shtml

Checking the Almanac, high tide this afternoon would have been at 18:02
at Deptford Creek, low tide should be about 00:22. Springs were on the
8th, Neaps will be on 16th so we are about half way in between at the
moment,

If you want to see a tidal graph for London Bridge:-

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/data/20050712/0113_20050712.shtml#graph
--
Regards
Phil