[Gllug] Long-term storage of digital photographs

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 17:13:56 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 15:27, Peter Grandi wrote:
> Tapes can
> stretch or break or get tangled,, tape formats can become
> obsolete, ...

Tape can be resilient in the right circumstances.
I have 128K (Yeah K!!) microdrive cartridges that are still in use for my
Sinclair QL.
Storage facilities involves throwing them into drawer, dusty places, etc. The
only damage up to now is the sponges that keep holds the tape lubricant
perish. Transfer rate is admittedly poor with 128K taking about 2 minutes
although this seems to vary when used with the ICL OnePerDesk. These have
been running weekly since 1984.
For larger storage, cassette tape holds some 60 minutes (about 500K) for the
Spectrum and the 1983 AntAttack tape from Quicksilva still works every month.

:-)

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk