[Gllug] OT: rma rejected + the worst grammer +ever+

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 22:34:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:51:17PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >I recently returned a motherboard I bought from Komplett.
>
> "that I bought"
>
> >I ran tested it first with a 200MHz fsb and an old AMD chip.

Well, I did have a feeling that someone would come back with this sort
or reply.

First point to you. My mistake. I changed my mind and forgot to delete
"ran". A typo - not a spelling mistake but a mistake nonetheless.

> What does "ran tested it" mean?  If "fsb" is an acronym it should
> capitalised.

Acronyms should be capitalised, but on a technical mailing list I do not
think that is outrageous. However, I began as a pedant and so cannot refute
this point!

> >Leaving aside the dire technical prognosis (which is totally wrong!), have
> >you ever
> >seen so many errors in a single sentence?
>
> Yes, I'm learning Norwegian, you should read teh conversations I have
> with a Norwegian friend.  "Hva farge er deres bilen?"  for example.

I don't believe this it's fair to use learning a foreign language as an
example in this case. The company has an English web site and it's
employees should be able to converse with their customers.

> >LOL!
>
> Text-speak, the last resort of the lexically challenged.

Text-speak? I learned this on newsgroups. I have seen it many times including
on this list. It is an accepted form of communication and therefore
valid. If language develops and is commonplace, far be it from me to say
what is valid. The human race define accepted usage, not you or I.

> Mart.

You have made some good points but I don't feel you have the right to
refer to me as "lexically challenged". Your dislike of "text-speak" does
not give you the right to dismiss my use of it. In what way is it "the
last resort"? Do you find people whose writing gets worse finally trail
off into acronyms? Or is that simply a throwaway comment?

Hope this stays cordial,

Ben.

ps I've prefixed the subject now with OT so this doesn't get in the way
of others.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk