[Gllug] New UK push for EU data retention regulations

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Jul 11 14:39:51 UTC 2005

Richard Jones wrote:
> Yay for democracy.  Not exactly sure how they're going to force me to
> "retain" the logs on (my) annexia.org mailserver though ...  I've been
> thinking about logging to /dev/null for some time.

I think the basic idea is that they ask you to retain all your logs, and
if you don't then they send you to prison.

I got one of these requests on Thursday from my ISP.  They forwarded a
message from the National Crime Squad to everyone hosting services with
them.

Not entirely sure what the legal status of the request is, but I suspect
that if they really wanted to they could nail you for not logging stuff
to their satisfaction.

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk