[Gllug] CD Writing

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jul 5 22:04:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, t. clarke spake:
> I know that when I burn DVD's/CD's using my NEC-3510 the log shows some sort of
> burn calibration taking place, but no idea how this is done.

OPC is a dynamic calibration process. See <http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq05.html#S5-11>
for some pointers to specs.

It should cope with dirty laser lenses reasonably well. (But if hot tar
gets melted to the lens, as happened to one drive in my experience,
you're in trouble. ;) )

>                                                               It would seem a
> fair assumption that at slowers speeds the laser power reduces.  Presumably, on
> that basis the laser power has to adjust as the head moves across the disc, as
> the speed of the track generally increases the further out  the head goes (or
> the drive has to adjust its rotational speed constantly).

Most CD writers maintain a constant linear velocity when writing: the really
high-speed ones probably have to do something like you suggest.

--
`But of course, GR is the very best relativity for the masses.'
 --- Wayne Throop
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk